OpenCms 9 release candidate ready for download
OpenCms 9 RC now ready and available for download.
OpenCms 9 brings several enhancements while being fully backward compatible with OpenCms 8.x.
We recommended OpenCms integrators, developers and contributors to install and thoroughly test this release candidate, in order to prepare for the upcoming OpenCms 9 final.
New in OpenCms 9
- Improved "in place" editing of web pages for text and also for images and other content types.
- Enhanced support for different devices with preview and device specific content control.
- Access to the content repository over a shared network drive.
- Detail pages now allow individual content to be added with drag & drop.
- A new site management tool allows simple configuration of multiple sites.
- Automated / scripted setup option, great for continuous integration builds.
- Optimized build process using Gradle.
- A new responsive demo template based on Bootstrap as a base for customization.
General features of OpenCms
- The page editor allows WYSIWYG inline editing of web pages and arrangement of content by drag & drop.
- The form based editor allows editing of structured content in a well defined form mask.
- The sitemap editor allows to create new pages and re-arrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- Content creation for mobile devices with preview and device specific content control.
- Structured contents can be defined using a simple XML schema.
- Easy to use "Online / Offline" workflow, changes must be approved before they become visible.
- Link management for all internal resources with broken link detection.
- Integrated image scaling and cropping.
- SEO features with automatic sitemap.xml generation and page alias support.
- Full featured user management that supports the concept of "Organizational Units" (OUs).
- Allows management of multiple websites within one installation.
- Contents can be served dynamically or exported to static HTML files.
- Extensions can be added through a flexible module system.
- Integrates Apache SOLR for powerful content searching and noSQL like queries.
- Full text search for web pages as well as in office documents like PDF, MS Office and Open Office.
- The "time warp" feature allows to view resources which are expired or not yet released.
- JSP integration for dynamic functionality in templates, dynamic forms etc.
- ... and many more
We recommended OpenCms integrators, developers and contributors to install and thoroughly test this release candidate, in order to prepare for the upcoming OpenCms 9 final . OpenCms 9.0 RC should not be used for production websites.
Please report issues found in OpenCms 9 RC using our GitHub issue tracker.
Users looking for a production installation of OpenCms should use the 8.5.2 version and upgrade to OpenCms 9 final when it is available.
Please check out the release notes for further details of the changes in this release.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 13 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official OpenCms Solution Provider on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.