OpenCms 7.5 available
Version 7.5.0 of OpenCms is now available for download.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. The new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
With OpenCms 7.5.0, new features were added and a lot of issues and security problems that persisted in the 7.0.5 release have been fixed.
New Features in OpenCms 7.5.0
- Support for image cropping in image gallery.
- New galleries with advanced AJAX features available in structured content and free page editor.
- Galleries dialog now also support grouping of elements by category.
- Support for tabs in the XML content editor.
- Offline search indexing without publishing in the Lucene based full text search.
- New demo content "Wonderful World of Flowers".
- Updated external editor components to latest stable versions.
- New scheduled job to delete expired resources.
- Added support for decentralized categories.
- It is now possible to access the raw XML of a structured content in a JSP using the EL content wrapper.
- Several other improvements and component updates.
- Lots of reported issues have been fixed.
General Features of OpenCms 7.5
- Support for Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, DB2, AS400 and HSQLDB databases included.
- The internal link management has been greatly improved.
- If files (or folders) are moved / renamed, all links to these files are now kept intact.
- Deleting a resource that is linked by other resources does now display a warning / confirmation dialog.
- The new "Content Relationship Engine" (CRE) allows defining arbitrary relations between OpenCms resources.
- Native support for WebDAV access to the OpenCms VFS has been added.
- Publishing of resources is now done using a queue, so a user can continue to work after publishing has started.
- The concept of "Organization Units" (OUs) has been added to the internal user management.
- System permissions are now based on a complete new set of "Roles".
- It is now possible to delegate management of users / groups in OUs to Sub-Administrators.
- A "switch user" (su) function for Administrators in the OpenCms Workplace is now available.
- Many usability improvements for the OpenCms Workplace have been made, especially concerning the handling of other users locks.
- Many dialogs in the OpenCms Workplace are more responsive because of the use of Ajax technologies.
- The context menus in the Workplace are now cascading and can be configured individually based on the users permissions.
- A new "Undelete" function is available on the context menu to restore deleted resources, including complete deleted subtrees.
- The full text search has been greatly improved so that individual resource properties or fields from XML content can be searched directly.
- A "time warp" feature in the Workplace now allows users to view resources with date expired / date released settings.
- Auto correction for structured XML contents now allows changes to the XML schema of existing resources.
- A configurable search tool is now available for content managers in the Workplace.
- ... and many more
Please check out the release notes for further details.
OpenCms 7.5.0 is fully backward compatible to all prior 7.0.x versions. We recommend everyone who uses an earlier version of OpenCms to update to the 7.5.0 release. OpenCms 7.5 is largely backward compatible with version 6. An easy to use update wizard for OpenCms Version 6 and prior 7.0.x installations for MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL is available.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 8 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official OpenCms Solution Provider on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
From June 15 to June 16, 2009, the OpenCms Days conference and expo will bring together the OpenCms community to discuss the present and future of OpenCms. More information is available on the event website opencms-days.org.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL licence.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.