OpenCms 7.0.4 available
Version 7.0.4 of OpenCms is now available for download.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. The new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
This version adds a number of improvements to the OpenCms core as well as the modules shipped with the core by default.
Most notably in this release is the updated OpenCms demo website created with the new "TemplateTwo". Both the demo and the template are a big step forward compared to the previous "TemplateOne". "TemplateOne" still is available but not longer installed by default.
Moreover, the "Direct Edit" function has been improved greatly. The positioning of the direct edit buttons now is much more precise, especially for CSS based layouts. Plus the look of the direct edit highlighting on the web page has been enhanced.
A ton of other additions and improvements tops off this release. Of course, OpenCms 7.0.4 also fixes a number of issues that persisted in 7.0.3. See below for more details.
General Features of OpenCms 7
- Support for Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, DB2, AS400 and HSQL databases included.
- The internal link management has been greatly improved.
- If files (or folders) are moved / renamed, all links to these files are now kept intact.
- Deleting a resource that is linked by other resources does now display a warning / confirmation dialog.
- The new "Content Relationship Engine" (CRE) allows defining arbitrary relations between OpenCms resources.
- Native support for WebDAV access to the OpenCms VFS has been added.
- The concept of "Organization Units" (OUs) has been added to the internal user management.
- System permissions are now based on a complete new set of "Roles".
- It is now possible to delegate management of users / groups in OUs to Sub-Administrators.
- A "switch user" (su) function for Administrators in the OpenCms Workplace is now available.
- Because of the use of Ajax technologies, the OpenCms Workplace is more responsive.
- A new "Undelete" function is available on the context menu to restore deleted resources, including complete deleted subtrees.
- A "time warp" feature in the Workplace now allows users to view resources with date expired / date released settings.
New Features in OpenCms 7.0.4
- Added new "TemplateTwo" demo template with improved demo content, replacing the old "TemplateOne" demo
- Added new JQuery based direct edit provider with much improved positioning of the DE buttons
- Updated FCKeditor to version 2.5.1
- Added "default template" which is used by default if no template is found for a resource
- Added support to import/export user roles, organizational units and projects
- Added new module group selection dialog to the Setup Wizard
- Fixed security issue 27986 reported by Security Focus
- Fixed issue with an account manager being able to become an administrator
- ... and many more
Please check out the release notes for further details.
OpenCms 7 is highly backward compatible with version 6. An easy to use update wizard for OpenCms Version 6 and prior 7.0.x installations for MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL is available.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 8 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official OpenCms Solution Provider on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
From May 5 to May 6, 2008, the OpenCms Days conference and expo will bring together the OpenCms community to discuss the present and future of OpenCms. More information is available on http://www.opencms-days.org.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL licence.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.