OpenCms 6.2 released
Version 6.2 of OpenCms is now available for download. OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. The new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of an international OpenCms developer community.
OpenCms 6.2 is a major release which adds a number of useful new features and also fixes a number of issues reported in OpenCms 6.0.x.
New features in OpenCms 6.2:
- Multiple selections and operations in the Workplace Explorer
- Native image scaling and manipulation
- Visual ("diff" like) comparison of document versions
- Integration of the popular FCKeditor for WYSIWYG editing
- Improved XML content editor with options to re-sort content and more widgets
- New, optional "Photo album" and "Pattern page" content types
- Much improved search index admininstation interface
- More options for generating accessible website content
- Added database support for MySQL 5 and Oracle 10
For complete details about the new features and issues solved with 6.2 compared to older releases, please check the 6.2 release notes.
With the OpenCms 6.2 download comes extensive online documentation and examples, also developed by Alkacon Software GmbH.
OpenCms 6.2 offers major features expected from a modern CMS solution:
- "Direct edit" of content right from the website
- Dynamic HTML user interface, compatible to MS IE and Firefox
- New content types can easily be defined by an XML schema
- Support for managing multiple websites in one installation
- Integrated full text search, also in MS Office and PDF documents
- Extensive user permission system with access control lists (ACL)
- Optional generates static HTML pages from the content
- Contains demonstration modules for news, jobs, FAQ and events
- Generator for Email-Forms
- Support for multiple languages and Unicode
Updating an existing OpenCms 6.0.x installation to version 6.2 is easy with the new OpenCms "Update wizard".
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 6 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official "OpenCms Solution Provider" on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL licence.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the main development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.