OpenCms 6.0 RC 2 released
Alkacon Software has finished work on the second release candidate of OpenCms 6.0. The final release of OpenCms 6.0 will be available June 30, 2005.
The most important new features in this RC 2 release compared to the RC 1 version:
- Finished the following tools for the (new) Administration:
- New pointer link validation tool
- Tool to edit the synchronization settings
- Tool to display a message for all users that log in
- Tool to temporarily disable all logins (for system maintainance)
- Account management tool
- Module management tool
- Database management tool
- Project management tool
- Link check tool
- Logfile view tool
- New module for the german localization of OpenCms
- Synchronize settings are now saved on a "per user" basis and stored in the database
- New Workplace login features:
- New JSP based login dialog
- A user account is now temporarily disabled for login after a configurable number of failed login attempts
- Further improvements:
- Update of the 'howto_workplace_translation' documentation and its localization tool to the new localization scheme
- JVM default locale is now set to be Locale.ENGLISH if any other language than English is the default
- Introduced abstract base class and parameter handling for all select type widgets
- Streamlined implementations of equals(Object) and compareTo(Object) for core classes
- Replaced most .gif icons with .png versions
- Updated Apache digester to version 1.7
- Resolved Issues:
- Fixed issue with missing locale in XML content that has only optional elements
- Fixed issue with folders when moving a folder to it's own subfolder
- Fixed issue with duplicate types showing in "new" dialog after the Workplace was re-initialized
- Fixed issue with renaming files to a version with just a different case
- Fixed issue in static export regarding caching of exported files with parameters
- Fixed issue that the synchronization report does not return to the workplace after clicking the 'ok'-button
When will the "final" release of OpenCms 6.0 be available?
June 30, 2005. You can help speeding up the process of development by providing feedback for this release and the following releases, especially regarding bugs. In case you find any bug, please use the OpenCms bugzilla to document it, or at least post a note to the opencms-dev mailing list. The more feedback and code contributions are made, the faster we can fix the issues and finish the development.
Who should use this 6.0 RC 2 version?
In this release candidate, the core features of OpenCms are completed, and should run stable. Until the final release, there will only be GUI changes in the Workplace and other frontend related improvements. We believe that this 6.0 RC 2 version is stable enough to be used in a production system. It's likely to be more stable than the current "stable" 5.0.1 release.
If and how you should use this version depends on what your goals are:
- If you are starting a new OpenCms project, you should use this 6.0 RC 2 and not 5.0.1.
- If you are currently using any previous 6.0 development release (e.g. 6.0 alpha 1, 2, 3 , beta 1, 2, 3 or RC 1), you should upgrade to this new version in case you have encountered issues with the release you are using. If this is not the case, you may as well wait until the 6.0 final release is out.
- If you are running a website based on OpenCms 5.0.1, and you want to upgrade, you should wait until the final 6.0 release is available.
TODO list to be finished before OpenCms 6.0 is released:
- Testing and bug fixing - your feedback is required!
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.