OpenCms 10 Beta available
OpenCms 10 Beta provides a complete look at OpenCms 10. This is the final pre-release version before OpenCms 10.0.0 arrives. Download this beta release to get an advance look of the great new user interface and the other improvements of the next OpenCms generation.
This beta version is considered feature complete! All important functionalities are in place. Only minor GUI updates, as well as improvements to the demo template, will be made for the final release. In case you plan to upgrade to OpenCms 10 when it's released, we recommend to use this beta for testing your templates in the new version.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. This new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
New in OpenCms 10
- Modernized the look & feel of the overall user interface
- Introduced the Launchpad as the central starting place for the user
- New file explorer with support for column sorting, filtering and large folders
- Developers can now export and import modules through a SMB network share
- New Git app allows pushing and pulling of module content directly from the workplace
- New <cms:search> tag combines SOLR based resource collection and full text searches
- New <cms:display> tag generates the output for a single resource with a selected formatter
- New <cms:edit> tag allows editing of arbitrary resources based on UID
- Drag and Drop of images directly in the page editor
- Reuse groups allow reusing nested container structures on several pages
- Copy groups allow creation of boiler plate layouts with text / images
- Users are identified with an identicon or a personal image in the toolbar
- Improved the template editor with support for inherited and disabled templates
- Added a "reset password" option to the login dialog
- Nested container structures can now be copied using the clipboard
- Support for local configuration change sets based on XSLT
- Modules are exported with a reduced manifest.xml to avoid merge conflicts
- Optimized resources types, formatters and views in the demo template application
- Updated the responsive demo template based on Bootstrap
Please check out the release notes for further details regarding the changes in this release.
General OpenCms features
- The page editor allows WYSIWYG inline editing of web pages and arrangement of content by drag & drop.
- The form based editor allows editing of structured content in a well defined form mask.
- The sitemap editor allows to create new pages and re-arrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- Responsive demo template based on Bootstrap 3.
- Content creation for mobile devices with preview and device specific content control.
- Structured contents can be defined using a simple XML schema.
- Easy to use "Online / Offline" workflow, changes must be approved before they become visible.
- Link management for all internal resources with broken link detection.
- Integrated image scaling and cropping.
- SEO features with automatic sitemap.xml generation and page alias support.
- Full featured user management that supports the concept of "Organizational Units" (OUs).
- Allows management of multiple websites within one installation.
- Contents can be served dynamically or exported to static HTML files.
- Direct access to the OpenCms content repository over a shared network drive.
- CMIS and WebDAV access to the OpenCms content repository.
- Integrates Apache SOLR for powerful content searching and noSQL like queries.
- Full text search for web pages as well as in office documents like PDF, MS Office and Open Office.
- Extensions can be added through a flexible module system.
- The "time warp" feature allows to view resources which are expired or not yet released.
- JSP integration for dynamic functionality in templates, dynamic forms etc.
- ... and many more
We recommend everyone who uses OpenCms to test the 10 Beta release. OpenCms 10 Beta is fully backward compatible to all prior 9.x versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from these versions work "out of the box" with version 10 Beta.
Users of Alkacon OCEE require a new OCEE version for OpenCms 10. There will be an updated OCEE package available for the final release of OpenCms 10. The update will be free for Alkacon customers with a valid OCEE update subscription.
OpenCms is a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 15 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.