OpenCms 10 Beta Release Notes
Dezember 9, 2015: OpenCms 10 Beta is available! Try out the forthcoming new features of OpenCms 10 with this beta release.
Please note: This beta version is considered feature complete! We do not recommend to use this version in productive OpenCms environments.
New in OpenCms 10
- Modernized the look & feel of the overall user interface*
- Introduced the Launchpad as the central starting place for the user*
- New file explorer with support for column sorting, filtering and large folders*
- Developers can now export and import modules through a SMB network share*
- New Git App allows committing of module content directly from the workplace*
- New <cms:search> tag combines SOLR based resource collection and full text searches*
- New <cms:display> tag generates the output for a single resource with a selected formatter*
- New <cms:edit> tag allows editing of arbitary resources based on UID*
- Drag and Drop of images directly in the page editor*
- Reuse groups allow reusing nested container structures on several pages*
- Copy groups allow creation of boiler plate layouts with text / images*
- Users are identified with an identicon or a personal image in the toolbar
- Improved the template editor with support for inherited and disabled templates
- Added a reset password option to the login dialog
- Nested container structures can now be copied using the clipboard
- Support for local configuration change sets based on XSLT
- Modules can be exported with a reduced manifest.xml to avoid merge conflicts
- Optimized resources types, formatters and views in the demo template application
- Updated the responsive demo template based on Bootstrap
Items marked with * are considered important improvements in this version.
Improved in OpenCms 10 Beta over Alpha 2
- Added permission dialog to the new explorer
- Added history dialog to the new explorer
- Added "step through" feature to the properties dialog
- Added "copy stack trace" function to the error dialog
- Added <cms:display> tag for output generation in search list results
- Added personal user image upload to the toolbar user info dialog
- Added replace dialog to the new explorer
- Added edit pointer dialog to the new explorer
- Added tool tips for disabled context menu entries in the new explorer
- Added option to edit the current sitemap configuration from the sitemap editor
- Added publish queue dialog to new explorer
- Added siblings tab to info dialog in the new explorer
- Added optional text info fields for tabs in the form based editor
- Added support for grouping content types in sub views for the "add new" dialog
- Added template select widget to the site manager "add new site" dialog
- Added options to SOLR search for multiple facets on one field
- Added support for macro formatters
- The Git integration app now allows to pull and import selected modules
- The improvements / fixes made in OpenCms 9.5.3 have been integrated in 10 Beta
- Improved and unified error dialog layout
- Improved container page XML cleanup on save
- Improved toolbar buttons to be disabled in online project
- Removed no longer required core modules
- Separated old workplace classes and resources from standard core
OpenCms 10.0.0 Beta is fully backward compatible with all 9.x versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from these versions should work "out of the box" with version 10.0.0 Beta.
Notice for users of Alkacon OCEE: OpenCms 10.0.0 Beta will not work with current versions of Alkacon OCEE. There will be an updated OCEE available for the final release of OpenCms 10. The update will be free for Alkacon customers with a valid OCEE update subscription.
Compatibility with Java versions, servlet containers and databases
OpenCms 100.0 Beta has been written and tested for Java 8 and Java 7. We have tested with ORACLEs JDK as well as OpenJDK. OpenCms should run with all compliant JVMs.
We have tested this release on the Tomcat servlet engine. OpenCms works "out of the box" with Tomcat 7 and 8, which we recommend. Others have reported deploying OpenCms successfully on other servlet containers like JBoss, WildFly, Weblogic, Websphere, Glassfish and Resin Professional.
On the database side, we have tested with MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, DB2 and HSQLDB.
Regarding version numbers and build tags
The main OpenCms Git repository is available on Github at github.com/alkacon/opencms-core.
In case you want to get the most current OpenCms development sources from Git, please check out "branch_10_0_x". The 10.0.0 Beta release is tagged "build_10_0_0_beta".
How you can help
Contributions to the OpenCms core development are most welcome. Please send us your pull requests directly on GitHub.
Please report issues found in OpenCms using our GitHub issue tracker.
Thank you for using OpenCms and have fun with OpenCms 10 Beta :-)