OpenCms 10 Alpha 2 available
OpenCms 10 Alpha 2 is now available. Download this second alpha release to get an advance look of the great new user interface and the other improvements of the next OpenCms generation.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. This new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
New in OpenCms 10
- Modernized the look & feel of the overall user interface
- Introduced the Launchpad as the central starting place for the user
- New file explorer with support for column sorting, filtering and large folders
- Developers can now export and import modules through a SMB network share
- New Git App allows committing of module content directly from the workplace
- New <cms:search> tag combines SOLR based resource collection and full text searches
- Drag and Drop of images directly in the page editor
- Copy groups allow creation of boiler plate layouts with text / images
- Reuse groups allow reusing nested container structures on several pages
- Users are identified with an identicon in the toolbar
- Improved the template editor with support for inherited and disabled templates
- New <cms:edit> tag allows editing of arbitary resources based on UID
- Added a reset password option to the login dialog
- Nested container structures can now be copied using the clipboard
- Modules can be exported with a reduced manifest.xml to avoid merge conflicts
- Optimized resources types, formatters and views in the demo template application
- Updated the responsive demo template based on Bootstrap
Please check out the release notes for further details regarding the changes in this release.
General OpenCms features
- The page editor allows WYSIWYG inline editing of web pages and arrangement of content by drag & drop.
- The form based editor allows editing of structured content in a well defined form mask.
- The sitemap editor allows to create new pages and re-arrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- Responsive demo template based on Bootstrap 3.
- Content creation for mobile devices with preview and device specific content control.
- Structured contents can be defined using a simple XML schema.
- Easy to use "Online / Offline" workflow, changes must be approved before they become visible.
- Link management for all internal resources with broken link detection.
- Integrated image scaling and cropping.
- SEO features with automatic sitemap.xml generation and page alias support.
- Full featured user management that supports the concept of "Organizational Units" (OUs).
- Allows management of multiple websites within one installation.
- Contents can be served dynamically or exported to static HTML files.
- Direct access to the OpenCms content repository over a shared network drive.
- CMIS and WebDAV access to the OpenCms content repository.
- Integrates Apache SOLR for powerful content searching and noSQL like queries.
- Full text search for web pages as well as in office documents like PDF, MS Office and Open Office.
- Extensions can be added through a flexible module system.
- The "time warp" feature allows to view resources which are expired or not yet released.
- JSP integration for dynamic functionality in templates, dynamic forms etc.
- ... and many more
We recommend everyone who uses OpenCms to test the 10 Alpha 2 release. OpenCms 10 Alpha 2 is fully backward compatible to all prior 9.x versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from these versions work "out of the box" with version 10 Alpha 2.
OpenCms 10 Alpha 2 will not work with current versions of Alkacon OCEE. There will be an updated OCEE available for the final release of OpenCms 10. The update will be free for Alkacon customers with a valid OCEE update subscription.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 15 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.