Introducing OpenCms 10.5
OpenCms 10.5.0 is now available for download.
This release focuses on site localization, adding tools for assisted translation of pages and sitemaps. Many usability improvements have been made for the Page Editor and the Explorer. OpenCms 10.5 also ships a much improved version of the Apollo Template. Based on Bootstrap, the Apollo Template is fully customizable without coding.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. This new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
We also have updated the OpenCms Docker image as well as the OpenCms documentation and the OpenCms demo site for this release.
New in OpenCms 10.5
- Localization: Compare localized subsites side-by-side.
- Localization: Copy pages from one language to another, including content.
- Localization: Connect the same page in different languages using locale relations.
- Localization: Message bundle translator.
- Localization: Support for localized properties.
- Asset Connection: Data view widget API allows to natively integrate external assets in the content editor.
- Asset Connection: Support for using external assets in templates through EL functions.
- Enhanced online preview in the page editor hides all OpenCms added markup for HTML debugging.
- The Apollo Template has been greatly enhanced with new options and functionality.
- The user interface now uses mostly font icons for better support in high resolution (retina) screens.
- Unified toolbar appearance and context menus for editors and workplace.
- New and improved Project Management app.
- Expired / unreleased resources in lists can now be shown on their detail page.
- Security: Added password expiration option.
- Security: Added password strength indicator in password dialog.
- Security: Added dialog "Edit user" so users can update their personal information.
- Security: Added optional "Confirm personal information" dialog after user login.
- Added OpenCmsUrlServletFilter to easily remove the /opencms servlet name.
- Added <cms:jsonpart> tag and CmsJsonPartFilter to split the output of a page to JSON fragments.
- Added <cms:scaleImage> tag for creating responsive image variations, provided by mwxwidmann.
Please check out the release notes for further details regarding the changes in this release.
General OpenCms features
- The page editor allows WYSIWYG inline editing of web pages and arrangement of content by drag & drop.
- The form based editor allows editing of structured content in a well defined form mask.
- The sitemap editor allows to create new pages and re-arrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- Responsive demo template based on Bootstrap 3.
- Content creation for mobile devices with preview and device specific content control.
- Structured contents can be defined using a simple XML schema.
- Easy to use "Online / Offline" workflow, changes must be approved before they become visible.
- Link management for all internal resources with broken link detection.
- Integrated image scaling and cropping.
- SEO features with automatic sitemap.xml generation and page alias support.
- Full featured user management that supports the concept of "Organizational Units" (OUs).
- Allows management of multiple websites within one installation.
- Contents can be served dynamically or exported to static HTML files.
- Direct access to the OpenCms content repository over a shared network drive.
- CMIS and WebDAV access to the OpenCms content repository.
- Integrates Apache SOLR for powerful content searching and noSQL like queries.
- Full text search for web pages as well as in office documents like PDF, MS Office and Open Office.
- Extensions can be added through a flexible module system.
- The "time warp" feature allows to view resources which are expired or not yet released.
- JSP integration for dynamic functionality in templates, dynamic forms etc.
- ... and many more
OpenCms 10.5 is fully backward compatible with all 9.0, 9.5 and 10.0 versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from these versions should work "out of the box" with version 10.5.
Users of Alkacon OCEE require a new OCEE version for OpenCms 10.5. The update is free for Alkacon customers with a valid OCEE update subscription.
OpenCms is a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 15 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH & Co. KG is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.