Alkacon Software releases OpenCms 8.0.1
OpenCms 8.0.1 is now ready and available for download.
OpenCms is one of the most popular Open Source Content Management Solutions. This new version was developed by Alkacon Software GmbH with the support of the international OpenCms developer community.
OpenCms 8 contains a greatly improved user interface for content managers and numerous other enhancements.
OpenCms 8.0.1 is a maintenance release that fixes a number of issues that persisted in the initial release of OpenCms 8. Some new features have been added as well.
Main fixed issues and improvements in OpenCms 8.0.1
- The sitemap and ADE configuration has been greatly simplified and improved.
- The properties of a page can now be modified directly in the ADE editor.
- The full text search now also works on MS Office Open XML based documents (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx).
- German content was added to the Template III flower showcase to demonstrate a possible multi language setup.
- A "log out" option has been added to the menu in the ADE editor.
- In the sitemap editor there is a new option to go back to the last page viewed in the ADE editor.
- The sitemap editor now displays the lock status of pages and sub-pages and handles lock conflicts.
Please check out the release notes for further details of the changes in this release.
Main new features in OpenCms 8
- The "Advanced Direct Edit" mode allows to create page content by drag & drop.
- The new sitemap editor allows to create new pages and rearrange the navigation tree by drag & drop.
- A multiple file enabled upload dialog all based on HTML replaced the old "Upload Applet".
- The new "Content Subscription Engine" allows to inform users when important documents have changed.
- The XML content editor now support <xsd:choice> elements.
- The new publish dialog supports session based selection of content as well as add/remove of individual resources.
- Extended support for creation of content for mobile devices with the <cms:mobile> tag.
- A central "Shared Folder" has been added that is available from all sites for sharing content.
- JPA support has been added to the database layer, so there's support for 10 additional databases.
We recommend everyone who uses OpenCms to update to the 8.0.1 release. OpenCms 8 is fully backward compatible to all prior 7.x versions. Templates and other OpenCms developed code from version 7.0 or 7.5 should work "out of the box" with version 8.
Users of the Alkacon OCEE packages require a new version of Alkacon OCEE for use with this OpenCms release. OpenCms 8 requires Alkacon OCEE version 3.0 or newer.
Independent research has shown OpenCms to be a market leading solution amongst Open Source CMS systems. The software has been in continuous development for the last 10 years and has an active community of Open Source developers.
More than 100 international IT companies have been registered as official OpenCms Solution Provider on the OpenCms website. A steadily growing list of reference sites also shows the increasing use of OpenCms.
OpenCms is an enterprise - ready web content management solution build in Java and XML from open source components. OpenCms can easily be deployed on almost any existing IT infrastructure and provides powerful features especially suited for medium and large enterprise internet or intranet applications. OpenCms is open source software distributed under the LGPL license.
Alkacon Software GmbH is the company responsible for the development of OpenCms. Today OpenCms is a leading open source CMS solution in widespread use all over the world. Many businesses and organizations use OpenCms as a cost effective, professional alternative to expensive license products.
Alkacon Software GmbH offers its customers training, support and add-on products for OpenCms. This gives our customers a layer of security and convenience often required for mission critical OpenCms installations. Please see the Alkacon product overview for more details.
The team at Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts wants to thank everyone who has contributed to this release of OpenCms.